[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"PULLOXHILL, a parish in the hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 4 miles south-east of Ampthill, its post town, and 11 south of Bedford. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The surface is undulating, and for the most part a rich grazing land. Gold dust was discovered in the greensand, but the produce was not sufficient to defray the expense of working it. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £210. The church, dedicated to St. James, has been recently restored and enlarged. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor."
"GREENFIELD, a hamlet in the parishes of Flitton and Pulloxhill, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile south west of Flitton."
"HILLFOOT, a hamlet in the parish of Pulloxhill, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south east of Pulloxhill."
"KITCHEN END, a farm house in the parish of Pulloxhill, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south east of Pulloxhill."
"UPBURY, in the parish of Pulloxhill, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile north east of Pulloxhill. Upbury Moat is the site of the former manor of Beeches and Upbury, owned in the 17th century by Sir William Briers - there is a monument to him in St. James's church, Pulloxhill. There is little left to be seen of this now ."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013