Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"RENHOLD, a parish in the hundred of Barford, county Bedford, 3½ miles north-east of Bedford, and 8 south west of St. Neot's. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. The surface is rather hilly, and in some parts gravel, but is generally of a clayey nature. A large portion of the land is in wood. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £428 10s., and the vicarial for £125. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £126. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains some monuments. The charities produce about £39 per annum, of which £28 goes to Beecher's free school. Howbury Hall, the principal residence, is situated in the midst of a well-wooded park. Captain F. C. Polhill is lord of the manor. In the neighbourhood are several mounds, locally known as the "Amphitheatre.""
"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Renhold, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile west north west of Renhold."
"SALPH END, a hamlet in the parish of Renhold, county of Bedfordshire, 2 miles west north west of Renhold."
"TOP END, a hamlet in the parish of Renhold, county of Bedfordshire, ¼ mile north west of Renhold."
"WORKHOUSE END, a hamlet in the parish of Renhold, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south east of Renhold. There is here a Baptist chapel."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- All Saints Church has its own webiste maintained by Rob Gaskell. here you will find a History of All Saints Church, a History of all the Vicars, a History of Joye, a History of the Lords of the Manor - Becher Family 1602-1781 and Polhill family 1781 to date, the Parish Registers 1602 - 1812 in date order and alpha order, the MIs of the Churchyard in number order with plan and alpha order and details of The War Memorial.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
- The church of All Saints is an edifice of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled tower containing 5 bells: there are four ancient monuments, in white marble, to the Polhill and Beecher families; and on the north side of the chancel is an alter tomb, with brasses to W. Wayte and his wife, 1509: the church was thoroughly restored in 1863, at a cost of £800, and has since been refurnished and decorated: in 1889 the belfry was restored and the tenor bell recast: there are sittings for about 230 persons. The register dates from the year 1564. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Howbury Hall, now occupied by Robert Peck esq. but formerly the residence of the Beauchamps, was rebuilt in 1849, and is a fine mansion, standing in wooded grounds of 150 acres, and surrounded by shrubberies; it is the property of Fredk. Edwd. Fiennes Polhill-Turner esq. lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops am wheat, barley, peas, beans and oats. Bricks, tiles and draining pipes are made here. The area is 2,196 acres of land and 15 of water; rateable value, £2,387; the population in 1891 was 481. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Genweb Bedfordshire contains a descriptive page about Renhold.
You can see pictures of Renhold which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL097527 (Lat/Lon: 52.161642, -0.397662), Renhold which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Renhold War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it