GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

RIDGMONT

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"RIDGMONT, (or Ridgmount), a parish in the hundred of Redbornstoke, county Bedford, 2 miles north east of Woburn, its post town. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the road to Bedford, and on the North Western railway. The parish is said to have derived its present name from the red colour of the sandy hill on which formerly stood a castle called Ruggemount, or Rougemount. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act, in 1796. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £84. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £53 per annum. There is a place of worship for Baptists; also a National school for both sexes. Brogborough House, which is the principal residence, is a square brick-built mansion, situated on rising ground.

"SEGENHOE, a village in the parish of Ridgmont, county Bedfordshire, 1 mile east of Ridgmont. The manor of Segenhoe is part of this small village. The church here is now in ruins (2010)."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014