GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

RISELEY

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"RISELEY, (or Risley), a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 9 miles south east of Higham Ferrers, its post town, and 5½ south west of Kimbolton. The village, which is situated in a valley, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a clayey nature, but fertile. The land is divided between rich pasture and arable. The surface is undulating, and is traversed by the road from Leeds to Kimbolton. The impropriate tithes belong to Lord St. John, and the glebe consists of 26 acres. The living is a via* in the diocese of Ely, value £177. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square embattled tower containing five bells. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans, Moravians, and Baptists, have places of worship. Lord St. John, of Melchbowrne House, is lord of the manor. Near the modern mansion are the remains of the old castle, from which the family of St. John derive their title. A fair is held on Shrove Tuesday.

"CROOK CORNER, a hamlet in the parish of Riseley, county of Bedfordshire, adjoining and to the north east of Riseley."

"TOP END, a hamlet in the parish of Riseley, county of Bedfordshire, adjoining and to the south of Riseley."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Community Websites

Gazetteers

Military History

Societies

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014