GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

ROXTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"ROXTON, a parish in the hundred of Barford, county Bedford, 5 miles south west of St. Neot's, its post town, and 8 north east of Bedford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the river Ouse, and on the great north road. The parish includes the hamlets of Chawson and Collesdon, and is chiefly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1810. The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage* of Great Barford, in the diocese of Ely, value £288, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains an altar-tomb of Roger Hunt, bearing date 1439. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. The Independents have a place of worship. Roxton House is the principal residence. The Rev. R. Delap is lord of the manor."

"CHAWSTON, a hamlet in the parish of Roxton, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles west of St. Neot's. It is situated near the river Ouse."

"COLESDEN, a hamlet in the parish of Roxton, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles north west of Roxton."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014