Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"SALFORD, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 4 miles north-west of Woburn, its post town. It is in conjunction with the parish of Holcutt, and is situated on Crawley Brook. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is partly in common. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1807. The living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory* of Holcutt, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains monuments, and a stone coffin of great antiquity, also a brass to J. Peddar, bearing date 1505. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
"SALFORD FORD, (or modern Waterhall) a hamlet in the parish of Salford, in the county of Bedford, ¼ mile south of Salford.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- St. Mary's Church, Salford.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary, restored in 1867, under the direction of Mr. W. White, is an edifice of interesting character, in the Early Decorated style, with traces of 11th century work, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and an open western belfry of oak, placed outside the church and containing 3 bells: the former tower, a modern brick structure, was removed on the repair of the church: the nave is divided from the aisle by an arcade of four curious piers of Early character: in the south aisle is a piscina, and a flat recessed arch, richly cusped and crocketed, within which, on a low altar-tomb, is the recumbent effigy, cross-legged, of a warrior: there is also a large coped altar-tomb, the top of which is incised with a cross; a third and very similar tomb, with a flat top, bears thereon also across with pendent shield : there is a brass, with effigies, to John Peddar, 1505, his wife Alice, and 12 children : several Early stone coffins have been found: there are sittings for 180 persons. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1558; marriages, 1561. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The Wesleyan chapel here was erected in 1814. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Salford which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP935393 (Lat/Lon: 52.044179, -0.638094), Salford which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Salford & Hulcote War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.
- The Woburn Sands & District Society, a registered charity, was formed in 1965 to fight against large-scale industrial developments, to protect the rural qualities of the local villages, to put forward the view of its members and to reflect public opinion in the area.
The primary aim of the Society is to preserve the amenities of Woburn Sands, Aspley Guise and the neighboring villages and hamlets, including Aspley Heath, the Brickhills, Husborne Crawley, Salford, Wavendon and Woburn, and to ensure as far as possible that any development is harmonious with their pleasant rural setting.