"SANDY, a parish in the hundreds of Wixamtree and Biggleswade, county Bedford, 4 miles north west of Biggleswade, and 3½ west of Potton. It is a station, on the Great Northern railway. The village, which is extensive, is situated on the river Irvel, and on the road from Potton to Bedford. A large portion of the land is laid out in garden grounds, and cucumbers are grown in the open air. The soil is chiefly of a sandy nature, but is rich and fertile. The substratum is sandstone intermixed with iron, fossil wood, and small pebbles, in which yellow quartz predominates. The hamlets of Beeston Green, Gritford, and Stratford are within this parish. It was formerly a Roman station on the way from St. Alban's to Godmanchester, and was designated Salinæ. In the vicinity are traces of two camps, one of which is called Cæsar's camp, of about 30 acres. At Sandy Warren is a meet for the Cambridgeshire hounds. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under Enclosure Acts in 1789 and 1798, and the glebe comprises 323 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £769. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing a clock and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £90 per annum. A free school for girls was built in 1840, and a public one for boys in 1843. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. Several Roman coins, urns, and fragments of pottery have been found here and at Chesterfield. The Hasells is the principal residence. Francis Pym, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BEESTON, (or Besston Green) a hamlet in the parishes of Northill and Sandy, hundred of Wixamtree, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles to the north west of Biggleswade. It is near the Sandy station of the Great Northern railway.
"GIRTFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Sandy, hundred of Biggleswade, county Bedford, 1 mile north west of Sandy, and 4 miles north west of Biggleswade. It is situated on the banks of the river Ivel. Francis Pym, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"SEDDINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Sandy, county of Bedfordshire, 1¼ miles south of Sandy."
"STRATFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Sandy, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south east of Sandy."
"THE HASELLS, (later Hasells Hall, now Hazells Hall) a single house in the parish of Sandy, 1¾ miles east of Sandy.