[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"SHELTON, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 5 miles west of Kimbolton, its post town, and 13 north of Bedford. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The Oakley hounds meet in this parish. The surface is level, and the soil clayey. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Enclosure Act, in 1794. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £190. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a square tower. The chancel contains a tablet to Mrs. Crofts. T. Harris, Esq., is lord of the manor."
The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building of mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north chapel, low south porch and a western pinnacled tower containing 3 bells and a clock: the chancel is Decorated, the nave arcades Transitional, and the south aisle, which retains a piscina, Perpendicular; the north aisle is continued the length of the chancel, forming a chapel, to which there is a circular opening in its inner wall: there are 56 sittings. The register dates from the year 1565. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]