"SHELTON, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 5 miles west of Kimbolton, its post town, and 13 north of Bedford. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The Oakley hounds meet in this parish. The surface is level, and the soil clayey. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Enclosure Act, in 1794. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £190. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a square tower. The chancel contains a tablet to Mrs. Crofts. T. Harris, Esq., is lord of the manor."