We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Shillington

SHILLINGTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"SHILLINGTON, (or Shitlington), a parish in the hundreds of Flitt and Clifton, county Bedford, 4 miles east of Silsoe, 6 south east of Ampthill, and 13 S.W. of Bedford. The village, which is considerable, is situated on a branch of the river Ivel. The land is partly in common. The parish comprises the hamlets of Holwell and Lower Stondon. The impropriation belongs to the President and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1802. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £128, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower, rebuilt, in 1750, and five bells. In the church are two brasses bearing date 1400. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a place of worship for the Dissenters. George Musgrave, Esq., is lord of the manor.

"APSLEY END, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, ½ mile south of Shillington."

"BURY END, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, 1½ miles north north west of Shillington."

"HANSCOMBE END, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, ½ mile south west of Shillington."

"HILLFOOT END, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, ¼ mile north west of Shillington."

"HOLWELLBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, 2½ miles east of Shillington."

"LOWER STONDON, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, hundred of Clifton, county Beds, half a mile south east of Upper Stondon, and 3 miles south east of Shefford.

"PEGSDON, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, county of Bedfordshire, 5 miles south of Shillington."

"UPTON END, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, ½ mile north of Shillington."

"WOODMER END, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, ½ mile north west of Shillington."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

Cemeteries

Census

  • The 1851 Census Index for Shillington can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 4, Book 1 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
  • The 1851 Census Index for Lower Stondon is part of Shillington and can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 4, Book 1 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Shillington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Church of England (Shillington)
    • The church of All Saints, standing on an eminence, and forming a very picturesque landmark for the district, is a large and fine example of the Transitional style which intervened between the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, and consists of chancel and nave, both with clerestory, under a continuous roof, aisles extending the whole length of the church and a western tower with plain parapet, rebuilt in 1750, and containing 5 bells: within, the nave and chancel are divided by an arch, and there are corresponding arches across each of the aisles; at the east end of the building rise two square embattled turrets, the wall between, over the east window, being finished with a horizontal cornice displaying the rebus of Matthew Ashton : beneath the chancel is an Early English crypt with groined vaulting, resting on a central pillar: the interior retains some good wooden screen work, with traces of paintings and the roof of the nort h aisle has been similarly decorated; there is a large slab with fine brass e ffigy in cope and hood of Matthew de Asscheton, canon of York and Lincoln, and rector of "Schutlingdone," who died Dec. 31, 1400-1: there is another with effigy in Cope to Thomas Partington, rector, and treasurer of York minster. The east window is a memorial to John and Fanny Ferrian Lines, and was placed by their daughter Sarah. The register dates from the year 1560. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
  • Non-conformist (Shillington)
    • Here is a union chapel, for the use of the Congregationalists and Baptists, and a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1872; these have large Sunday schools connected with them.
    • At BURY END is a primitive Methodist chapel with 100 sittings. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
  • Non-conformist (Lower Stondon)
    • Here is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1863, and seating 150 persons. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]

Church Records

Description and Travel

  • The charities consist of the sum of £12 14s. yearly, called "Pilsworth's charity," paid by the Clothworkers Company, and the interest of £300, left by, Samuel Whitbread esq. to four poor widows, occupying almshouses situated in the churchyard. Mrs. Eyre, who is lady of the manor, Charles W. Wilsbere esq. of the Frythe, Welwyn, and Trinity College, Cambridge, are the principal landowners. [Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
  • There a two Shillington web sites
You can see pictures of Shillington which are provided by:

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Shillington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL125345 (Lat/Lon: 51.997514, -0.362742), Shillington which are provided by:

Military History