Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
" SHILLINGTON, a village and large parish and village on the Hertfordshire border, 2¾ miles south-west from Henlow station on the Bedford and Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, 5½ north-west from Hitchin, and 11 south-east from Bedford, in the Southern division of the county, hundreds of Clifton and Flitt petty sessional division, union and county court district of Ampthill, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely.
The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. The crops are cereals of the usual kind. The the population in 1891 was 1,873."
"APSLEY END, in the parish of Shillington, 1 mile south;"
"LOWER STONDON, a hamlet in that part of the parish of SHILLINGTON, which is in the hundred of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles south-east from Shefford, containing 135 inhabitants."
"PEGSDON, a hamlet in the parish of Shillington, very picturesquely seated 2 miles south among the range of hills which divides Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire, and fine views of the surrounding counties are obtained from the Beacon Hill. Trinity College, Cambridge, George Charles Gostelow Lockhart esq. of Holwell Bury, and Mrs. Eyre, who is lady of the manor, are the principal landowners. Here is a Wesleyan chapel."
"UPTON END, in the parish of Shillington, half a mile north ;"
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]