[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
" SOUTHILL, a considerable village and parish, about a mile to the west of the Great North road, and has a station 1¾ miles west from the village, on the Bedford and Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, 8 miles south-east from Bedford, 3½ south-south-west from Biggleswade, 8 north from Hitchin and 2½ north from Shefford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Wixamtree, Biggleswade petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely.
The soil is part gravel and part clay ; subsoil, principally clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and turnips. The area is 5,674 acres of land and 60 of water; rateable value, £5,988 ; the population of the united places in 1891 was 1,143."