[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
" STAGSDEN, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 5½ miles (south-west) from Bedford, containing 542 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the kings's books at £8, endowed with £200 royal bounty. Lord Hampden was patron in 1811. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard.
STAGSDEN, (formerly called STACHEDENE and STAGGISDEN) a parish and a pleasant village, on the main road from Bedford to Newport Pagnell and Wolverton, and is one of the villages, on the borders of Bucks, 3 miles west-south-west from Bedford stations, on the Midland and London and North Western railways, and 8 north-east from Newport Pagnell, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Willey, Bedford petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Bedford, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely.
The soil is strong, stiff and cold day; subsoil, blue clay and chalkstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and beans, with some roots. The area is 3,418 acres; rateable value, £2,636; the population in 1891 was 470.