Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STEPPINGLEY, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Bedford, 2½ miles south west of Ampthill, its post town, and 10 south of Bedford. It is a small agricultural village, bounded on the north by the Flitt stream, flowing into the river Ouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £266, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, has a tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- St. Lawrence's Church, Steppingley.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Lawrence, rebuilt in 1860 by the Duke of Bedford and the rector, is a building of local sandstone in the Early Decorated and Perpendicuiar styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and a tower containing 4 bells : it is seated with open oak benches for 240 persons. The register dates from 1562, but is continuous only from 1647. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a small Wesleyan chapel. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is chiefly sand; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover and turnips. The area is 1,308 acres ; rateable value, £1,404; the population in 1891 was 308. [Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see pictures of Steppingley which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL009354 (Lat/Lon: 52.007830, -0.531380), Steppingley which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Steppingley War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.