Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STEVINGTON, (or Steventon), a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 5 miles north west of Bedford, its post town. The village is situated near the river Ouse. The land is wholly arable. In the centre of the village stands an ancient cross. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £168. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and five bells. The interior contains a brass of T. Salle, bearing date 1422. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, which go to Barringer's almshouses. There is a National school for both sexes. The Baptists have a place of worship. Near the church is a spring, which is called the Holy Well. Crewe Alston, Esq., is lord of the manor.
"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north of Stevington."
"DUCK END, a hamlet in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south west of Stevington."
"PARK END, a hamlet in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south east of Stevington."
"WEST END, a hamlet in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile north west of Stevington. There is here a Baptist chapel."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with lateral chapels, now ruinous, nave with clerestory, porch and a tower containing 5 bells, the lower part of the tower, as far as the inset of the aisles, is of Saxon work: in the pavement of the south aisle at the east end is a brass with the effigy of a knight in armour: in the church, on the bench-ends, are several small figures representing men drinking, sleeping and reading, also various animals : the chancel retains a piscina and hagioscope, and inside the porch is a stout: on the north side of the church is a low side window: the church was restored in 1871-2, at a cost of about £2,000, chiefly defrayed by the Duke of Bedford. The register dates from the year 1653. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a Baptist meeting-house, established in 1655, during the time of the celebrated John Bunyan, the present building was erected in 1720; the Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1863, has 50 sittings. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The is a short history and a list of the members etc. of the West End Baptist Meeting on the Bedfordshire council web site.
You can see pictures of Stevington which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP989532 (Lat/Lon: 52.168175, -0.555350), Stevington which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Stevington War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.
- The Stevington History Group was formed in September 1999 to research the history of the Village. The object of the Trust is to advance the education of the public in the history of Stevington (Bedfordshire).