GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

STEVINGTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"STEVINGTON, (or Steventon), a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 5 miles north west of Bedford, its post town. The village is situated near the river Ouse. The land is wholly arable. In the centre of the village stands an ancient cross. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £168. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and five bells. The interior contains a brass of T. Salle, bearing date 1422. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, which go to Barringer's almshouses. There is a National school for both sexes. The Baptists have a place of worship. Near the church is a spring, which is called the Holy Well. Crewe Alston, Esq., is lord of the manor.

"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north of Stevington."

"DUCK END, a hamlet in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south west of Stevington."

"PARK END, a hamlet in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south east of Stevington."

"WEST END, a hamlet in the parish of Stevington, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile north west of Stevington. There is here a Baptist chapel."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

Societies

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014