[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"STREATLEY, a parish in the hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 5 miles north-west of Luton, its post town, and 6 north east of Dunstable railway station. The village is on the road from Bedford to London. The parish includes the hamlet of Sharpenhoe. The soil consists of chalk and clay, and the land is chiefly arable. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Sundon, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is old, and has an oak roof and old font. There is a Free school. J. Smith, Esq., of Stevenage, is lord of the manor."
"SHARPENHOE, a hamlet in the parish of Streatley, hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 6 miles north west of Luton, near Sharpenhoe Knowl. It was the birth-place of Norton, the dramatic writer, who died in 1600."
The church of St. Margaret is an ancient fabric in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western embattled tower containing 2 bells: the font is Early English, consisting of an octagonal basin with richly worked sides, supported on a solid stone with four attached shafts, between which are spaces filled in with toothed ornament; there are some good benches panelled with the linen pattern : the church was re-seated in 1896 and affords sittings for 260 persons. The register dates from the year 1693. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in the year 1858. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]