[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"STREATLEY, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Luton, containing, with the hamlet of Sharpenhoe, 309 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £6. 15. 2., endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of - Cuthbert, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. Richard Norton, in 1686, gave a rent-charge of £10 in support of a school, wherein eight boys are educated."
"SHARPENHOE, a hamlet in the parish of STREATLEY, hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 4 miles (S.S.W.) from Silsoe. The population is returned with the parish. This hamlet contains a charity school for the instruction of eight children, founded by Richard Norton, in 1686, and endowed with a rent-charge of £10. Thomas Norton, a dramatic writer, was born here in the early part of the sixteenth century; he died about 1600."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]