"STUDHAM, a parish partly in the hundred of Dacorum, county Herts, but chiefly in that of Manshead, county Beds, 3½ miles south west of Market-Street, its post town, and 6 south west of Luton. The parish includes the hamlets of Humbershoe, Studham, and part of Market-Street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a round stone font of curious workmanship. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum."
"HUMBERSHOE, a hamlet in the parish of Studham, county of Bedfordshire, 2½ miles east of Studham, adjacent to Markyate. Humbershoe and Markyate are in a detached portion of the parish."
"MARKYATE, (anciently, Market Street), a chapelry in the parishes of Caddington, Flamstead, and Studham, partly in the hundred of Dacorum, county Herts, and partly in that of Manshead, county Beds, 3 miles south east of Luton. This place was anciently called Merkgate, and comprises three hamlets On a hill where now stands an ancient mansion called "The Priory" was formerly a Benedictine nunnery founded in 1145 by Geoffrey, Abbot of St. Albans, on land given by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. Its revenue at the Dissolution was £143 138. 8d., when the site was given to G. Ferrers. In the village, which consists of one long street facing, the road from London to Birmingham, several industries are carried on, as the manufacture of hats, bonnets, and straw plait. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value £227. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is situated in the Priory Park, and was erected about the middle of the last century. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists. The charities consist of £138 per annum, belonging to the grammar school. There is a National school.