[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
"SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of BIGGLESWADE, county of BEDFORD, 1¾ mile (south) from Potton, containing 369 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £20, and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Here were the seat and royalty of the celebrated John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, who conferred Sutton and Potton upon Sir Roger Burgoyne and his heirs, by a curious laconic deed in doggerell verse, which is preserved among the ancient records in the Arches, Doctors' Commons. The manor-house was burned down in 1826. There is a fine chalybeate spring near the parsonage-house. The learned Bishop Stillingfleet was rector of Sutton, about the middle of the seventeenth century, where he wrote his Origines Sacræ."