GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

SUTTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, county Bedford, 1½ mile south of Potton, its post town. It was a seat of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, and is said to have been given by him to Sir Roger Burgoyne by a curious deed in doggerel verse, preserved among the records in Doctors' Commons. There is a chalybeate spring. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £362, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains a brass of T. Burgoyne, bearing date 1516. The parochial charities are Burgoyne's annuity of £30 for repairs of the church, &c. There are charity and Sunday schools. It was in this parish that Bishop Stillingfleet, while rector, wrote his "Origins Sacræ." In Sutton Park is the site of an old seat, called John of Gaunt's Mount. Sir J. M. Burgoyne is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014