Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tempsford, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"TEMPSFORD, a parish in the hundred of BIGGLESWADE, county of BEDFORD, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Biggleswade, containing 577 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is situated on the river Ivel, which is navigable through the parish, and falls into the Ouse as it passes along the western boundary. This is a place of great antiquity; it was occupied by the Danes before 921, when they were expelled by the Saxons, but they returned in 1010, and reduced it to ashes."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]