We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"THURLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 7 miles north of Bedford, its post town, and 2 east of Bletsoe. The village is considerable, but irregularly built. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, and in the manufacture of pillow lace. In this parish are Bury Hill round camp and the moated site of Blackbull Hall. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £142. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains the brass of a knight, and a carved block of stone representing the Temptation and Fall. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a National school, in which six boys are educated free. The Baptists have a chapel. J. S. Crawley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"BACKNOE END, a hamlet in the parish of Thurleigh, 1 mile north of Thurleigh."
"CHURCH END, a hamlet in the parish of Thurleigh, ¼ mile west of Thurleigh."
"CROSS END, a hamlet in the parish of Thurleigh, ½ mile east of Thurleigh."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
- The church of St. Peter, situated on an eminence, is a fine and ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles end a central tower of Norman date, containing a clock and 6 bells, a 6th bell and a clock dial being added in 1897, in commemoration of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee: the chancel and tower are covered with ivy: in the nave is a brass to John Harvey, supposed to be of the 13th century: in the chancel i s a marble slab to John Harvey or Hervey, the last of the family, who died in 1715: the church was thoroughly restored in 1882, at a cost of about £700; the chancel was restored in 1887, at a cost of £100, and the bells in 1889, at a cost of £150: in 1887 a beautiful stained window was inserted at the east end of the chancel by Mr. and Mrs. Feazey in memory of their children: during the restoration of the chancel a low-side window was discovered on the south side with traces of ancient fa stenings. The register dates from the year 1562. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
- Two acres of land in this parish and a rent-charge of 40s. yearly, arising from land in the Parish of Goldington, are appropriated to the education of the children of the parish. Harvey's charity of £16 yearly, arising from the rent of the "Red Lion," is distributed to the poor at Christmas. Near the church are moated earthworks, known as "Bury Hill." J. Francis Ornwley esq. (Iny impropriator) J.P. of Stockwood, Luton, William Wade-Gery esq. and William Thompson esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; sub-soil, clay. The chief crops are cereals; a few beans are grown. The area is 3,417 acres; rateable value, £2,659; the population in 1891 was 529. SCOLD END, three quarters of a mile south, and PARK END, a mile and a half south-east, are parts of the parish. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see pictures of Thurleigh which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Thurleigh has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL052584 (Lat/Lon: 52.213745, -0.461656), Thurleigh which are provided by: