Thurleigh, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1831.
THURLEIGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
" THURLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 6½ miles (north) from Bedford, containing 477 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £9. - Crawley, Esq. and others were patrons in 1801. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Eight children are instructed for about £6. 10. per annum, the bequest of George Franklyn, in 1618. Here is the moated site of the ancient mansion of Blackbull Hall, and on Bury hill are vestiges of a circular camp."