GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

THURLEIGH

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"THURLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 7 miles north of Bedford, its post town, and 2 east of Bletsoe. The village is considerable, but irregularly built. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, and in the manufacture of pillow lace. In this parish are Bury Hill round camp and the moated site of Blackbull Hall. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £142. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains the brass of a knight, and a carved block of stone representing the Temptation and Fall. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a National school, in which six boys are educated free. The Baptists have a chapel. J. S. Crawley, Esq., is lord of the manor."

"BACKNOE END, a hamlet in the parish of Thurleigh, 1 mile north of Thurleigh."

"CHURCH END, a hamlet in the parish of Thurleigh, ¼ mile west of Thurleigh."

"CROSS END, a hamlet in the parish of Thurleigh, ½ mile east of Thurleigh."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Community Websites

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014