Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"TILBROOK, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 1½ mile north-west of Kimbolton, its post town, and 8 miles east of Higham-Ferrars. The village is situated in a valley. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £388. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Lord St. John is lord of the manor. The parish occupies some 1683 acres."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Monumental inscriptions for the parish of Tilbrook have not yet been recorded by the Huntingdonshire FHS. The War Memorial inscriptions for this parish are available on-line.
- Census information for this parish (1841 - 1891) is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1851 Census of Tilbrook is available as fiche set C68 from the Huntingdonshire FHS. A surname index of Tilbrook parish in the 1851 Census of Bedfordshire (Vol. 2, Book 1) is available from the Bedfordshire FHS. A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Tilbrook was enumerated (RG11/1613, Folios 15a - 23a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as Fiche C5, from the Huntingdonshire FHS. A full transcription of the 1891 Census of the Kimbolton Registration District (RG12/1243) in which Tilbrook was enumerated, and which took place on 5th April 1891, is available, as fiche set C14, from the Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- OS Grid Square TL 081693.
- The church of All Saints consists of a chancel with north vestry and a north chapel, a nave with a north aisle and a west tower.
- The 12th century church had a narrow chancel and nave, of which the east wall was about 12 ft. and the west wall was about 6 ft. westward of those of the present nave. The east end of the chancel was a few feet eastwards of the present chancel arch. In about 1180, a narrow north aisle was added, and some 40 years later, it was extended eastwards for the full length of the chancel, the chancel arch being entirely removed in the process. During the 14th century, the south wall of the nave was rebuilt and the present south porch built. In the latter part of that century, the chancel was lengthened eastwards, a vestry was built on the north side, and the aisle was widened and lengthened eastwards to join the vestry, one bay being added to the nave.
- The west tower was then built, partly within the lines of the west end of the nave but taking up half the western bay; presumably, the churchyard boundaries did not then allow it being built clear of the west end of the church. In the 15th century, the chancel arch was built again, a clearstory added to the nave, and some windows put in the north aisle. The south wall of the nave and the clearstory were rebuilt in the 19th century.
- The following hese are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1587-1812 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1905.
- Banns: 1823-1922.
- Marriages: 1573-1811 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1837, 1837-1956.
- Burials: 1573-1812 (indexed transcriptions), 1813-1983.
- Bishops Transcripts: 1602-40, 1650-1879. These are kept in the Bedfordshire Records Office.
- The parish registers of Tilbrook are available in the Bedfordshire Parish register series on microfiche, from the Bedfordshire FHS.
- Tilbrook was originally in the St. Neots Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Kimbolton sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Tilbrook which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Tilbrook has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL078691 (Lat/Lon: 52.309405, -0.420202), Tilbrook which are provided by:
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- Population in 1801 - 219
- Population in 1851 - 359
- Population in 1901 - 296
- Population in 1951 - 234
- Population in 1971 - 186
- Population in 1991 - 261.