GENUKI Home page    Toddington Parish<br>main page Toddington
Parish
main page

TODDINGTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)

" TODDINGTON, a parish and market town in the hundred of MANSHEAD, county of BEDFORD, 15 miles (south) from Bedford, and 89 (north-north-west) from London, containing 1665 inhabitants. This small town occupies an elevated site, and is irregularly built; the houses are of ancient appearance. The manufacture of straw-plat employs a great number of the poor inhabitants. The market, granted by charter of Henry III., in 1218, is held on Saturday, but has considerably declined: fairs are held on St. George's day, the first Monday in June, September 4th, November 2nd, and December 16th. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £29.2.11., and in the patronage of the Heirs of the late Lady Louisa Conolly. The church, which is dedicated to St. George, has portions in the later style of English architecture, and contains some ancient monuments; the exterior is ornamented with a variety of grotesque figures of animals. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Some remains of an old manor-house, erected on the summit of Cinger mount, are still visible, having been converted into a farm-house. An hospital for a chaplain and three poor men was founded here, in 1443, by Sir John Broughton."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014