GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

TURVEY

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"TURVEY, a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 9 miles north east of Newport Pagnell, its post town, and 4 east of Olney. The village is situated on the road from Northampton to Bedford, near the river Ouse, which hero divides the counties of Beds and Bucks. The manufacture of pillow lace is carried on. The soil consists of gravel and stony clay. There are quarries of limestone and stone for building. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £365. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has recently been enlarged and restored, with the addition of an organ, at an expense of about £1,000. In the interior are three brasses and tombs of the Mordaunts. The charities are extensive. There are National and infant schools, also chapels for the Independents and Wesleyans. Turvey Abbey, the seat of C. L. Higgins, Esq., who is lord of the manor, is the principal residence."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014