[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"UPPER GRAVENHURST, a parish in the hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, half a mile north of the above, and 4 miles north east of Silsoe. The village is rather considerable, and the manufacture of straw-plait is carried on. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1820. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £50, in the patronage of the parishioners. The church is a small Gothic structure dedicated to St. Giles. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor."
"ION, a small hamlet in the parish of Upper Gravenhurst, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south west of Gravenhurst."
The church of St. Giles is a small and unpretending edifice of stone, chiefly of Perpendicular date, and consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells : the roof of the nave exhibits good open timber work, with carved bosses and figures of angels : the chancel arch is Norman. The register dates from the year 1567. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
A Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1868. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898