[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"UPPER GRAVENHURST, a parish in the hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, half a
mile north of the above, and 4 miles north east of Silsoe. The village is rather
considerable, and the manufacture of straw-plait is carried on. The tithes
were commuted for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1820. The
living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £50, in the
patronage of the parishioners. The church is a small Gothic structure
dedicated to St. Giles. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"ION, a small hamlet in the parish of Upper Gravenhurst, county of Bedfordshire,
1 mile south west of Gravenhurst."
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Church of England
The church of St. Giles is a small and unpretending edifice of stone, chiefly of Perpendicular date, and consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells : the roof of the nave exhibits good open timber work, with carved bosses and figures of angels : the chancel arch is Norman. The register dates from the year 1567.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- A Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1868.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014