GENUKI Home page    Upper Stondon Parish<br>main page Upper Stondon
Parish
main page

UPPER STONDON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1898.

[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]

"UPPER STONDON, a parish and small village, about 13 miles west from Henlow station on the Bedford and Hitchin section of the Midland railway, 6 north-west from Hitchin, and 3 south-west from Shefford, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Clifton, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Biggleswade, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely.

Bricks and agricultural drain pipes are made here. The principal landowners are the Earl Cowper K.G., P.C. Trinity College, Cambridge, B. Long esq. and the rector. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The area is 426 acres; rateable value, £442; the population in 1891 was 47."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014