[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
"WILDEN, a parish in the hundred of BARFORD, county of BEDFORD, 5¼ miles (north-north-east) from Bedford, containing 447 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £18.7.1., and in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. John and Thomas Rolle, in 1624, bequeathed land, now producing an annual income of £30, for teaching poor children.
WILDEN, a scattered parish, situated in a pleasant vale, 6 miles from Bedford on the north, 8 south-west from St. Neots, and 9 south from Kimbolton, in the hundred of Barford, union, county court district and archdeaconry of Bedford, rural deanerv of Eaton, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Nicholas is a very neat structure, of Gothic architecture, with chancel, and square tower containing 5 bells; there are some good monuments in the Interior. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Mrs. Eliza Chalk, annual value £400, with residence; the Rev. Richard Gregory Chalk, M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford, is the incumbent. The Independents have a small chapel. There is a school, in the hands of trustees, for the education of the poor, the endowment of which is £47 per annum. Mrs. Chalk is lady of the manor. The charities are £6 per annum for widows; also £20 per annum left for the repairs of the church. The population in 1861 was 501; the acreage is 2,200 : rateable value, £2,720. [Post Office Directory - Bedfordshire - 1864]