[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WOOTTON, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Beds, 4½ miles south of Bedford, not far from the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the London and North-Western railway. The surface is varied, but in no part hilly, and the soil a strong clay. Wootton House is the seat of Coventry Payne, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £300, with 21¾ acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains monuments to the Monoux family. The chancel has recently been repaired. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels. The charities produce about £50 per annum."
The 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Wootton is to be found on a supplementary page.
- Bott End
- Bourne End
- Causeway End
- Church End
- Hall End