Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
" WOOTTON, a parish in the hundred of REDBORNESTOKE, county of BEDFORD, 4½ miles (south-west) from Bedford, containing 944 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £13.6.8., and in the patronage of the Representatives of the late Sir P. Monoux, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains numerous monuments to the Monoux family. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
"WOOTTON KEELEY, a large hamlet in the parish of Wootton, is the property of Miss Polhill. There is a lending library, and clothing, blanket and coal clubs : in the winter months there are men's and mothers' meetings. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]