GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

WOOTTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"WOOTTON, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Beds, 4½ miles south of Bedford, not far from the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the London and North-Western railway. The surface is varied, but in no part hilly, and the soil a strong clay. Wootton House is the seat of Coventry Payne, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £300, with 21¾ acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains monuments to the Monoux family. The chancel has recently been repaired. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels. The charities produce about £50 per annum."

The 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Wootton is to be found on a supplementary page.

  • Bott End
  • Bourne End
  • Causeway End
  • Church End
  • Hall End
  • Keeley Green
  • Keeley Lane
  • Stewartby
  • Tags End
  • Wootton Broadmead

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014