Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WRESTLINGWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, county Beds, 6 miles north east of Biggleswade, 10 south of St. Neot's, and 2 south east of Potton. The village is situated on the road from Cambridge to Bedford, near the river Rhee. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £148. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, The Independents have a chapel. There is a mixed National school. The charities produce about £62 per annum."
"WATER END, a hamlet in the parish of Wrestlingworth, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south south west of Wrestlingworth."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Church of England
- The church of St. Peter is a building of stone and cobbles, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, aisles and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 1 bell : in the chancel is a stained window to the Rev. W. C. Twiss, for 10 years curate and 52 years rector of the parish, d. Sept. 23, 1888. The whole edifice was thoroughly repaired in 1847: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1578. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898
- The Congregational chapel, erected 1887, will seat 160 persons. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Under the provisions of the "Divided Parishes Act, 1882," a detached part of Cockayne Hatley has been added to this parish. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see pictures of Wrestlingworth which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL258476 (Lat/Lon: 52.112382, -0.164295), Wrestlingworth which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Wrestlingworth War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.