GENUKI Home page    Yelden Parish<br>main page Yelden
Parish
main page

YELDEN:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1898.

[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]

"YELDEN, a parish in a valley, on the borders of Northamptonshire, 5½ miles east-south-east from Higham Ferrers station on the Northampton and Peterborough section of the London and North Western railway and about the same distance north from Sharnbrook station on the main line of the Midland railway, 14 north from Bedford and 6½ west from Kimbolton, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Stodden, Sharnbrook petty sessional division, union and county court district of Bedford, rural deanery of Riseley, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely.

A charity of about £11 10s. a year, the produce of a piece of land called " Constable's Land," devised 9th February, 1628, is distributed to the poor in coals. Francis Crawley esq. J.P. of Stockwood park, Luton, who is lord of the manor, and Henry Seymour Hoare esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The area is 1,950 acres; rateable value, £1,424; the population in 1891 was 220.

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014