"YELDEN, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Beds, 5 miles east of Higham-Ferrers, and 12 north of Bedford. It is situated in a valley, and is mentioned in Domesday survey as Ewelden. The women and children are employed in lace making. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains some old stone stalls and two brasses from 1433. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school. In the parish is the moated site of an old baronial castle. J. Sambrook Crawley, Esq., is lord of the manor."