In 1927 "The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire" states as follows:
At Aston Abbotts the land is high, rising to 468ft. above the ordnance datum at a point north of the village, whence extensive views can be obtained of the surrounding country. The village, which includes several buildings of the 16th and 17th centuries, is small and compact, with a small green in the centre, on the north side of which is the church. Near by is the vicarage, a substantial building dating from c. 1830. The present school was built in 1874, the former one together with five ancient cottages having been pulled down. There is an Independent chapel, built about 1839, and a Primitive Methodist chapel dating from 1862.
Slightly to the west of the village is the site of the ancient country house of the Abbotts of St Albans, from whom the parish derived its distinctive name.The present house, known as the Abbey, is a modern building of brick covered with stucco, having been practically rebuilt in the 19th century. Some of the walls, however, are of exceptional thickness, and may be part of the original building. The house stands in grounds containing a sheet of water, with a view over the town and vale of Aylesbury. It was once occupied by Sir James Clark Ross, discoverer of the Magnetic Pole in 1831, who died here in 1862. It is now the property and residence of Lieut.-Col. Henry Mitchell Sholto Douglas.
To the south-west of the Abbey is Windmill Hill, an elevation of 440ft. The hamlet of Burston lies about a mile south-west of Aston Abbotts, and consists of Lower Burston and Upper Burston, the farms respectively of Mr W. H. Denchfield and Mr Pargeter. [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
Aston Abbotts was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
Aston Abbotts, in the hundred of Cotslow, lies about 5 miles nearly north of Aylesbury. The manor, which had belonged to the abbey of St Albans, was granted by King Henry VIII. to John Lord Russell: not long afterwards it became the property of the Dormer family, from whom it passed by a female heir to the Stanhopes, and is now the property of the Earl of Chesterfield. The manor-house which is pleasantly situated, was occupied by the late Colonel Freemantle.
This parish is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Archdeacon of St Alban's, and in the diocese of London: Lord Chesterfield is patron of the vicarage. The parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1795, when an allotment of land was assigned to the vicar, in lieu of the vicarial, and a considerable portion of the great tithes to which he was entitled.
Burston-house in this parish, was the feat of a branch of the Lees: Cromwell Lee, a younger son of Sir Anthony Lee of Burston, compiled a very bulky Italian Dictionary, now in the library of St John's College in Oxford, of which he was a member; he died in 1601. The old mansion was nearly rebuilt by Sir Henry Lee, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, but left by him in an unfinished state, and has never since been completed: it is occupied as a farm-house, and is now the property of Mr William Leader, who purchased it, in 1802, of Lord Dillon, the representative of the Lee family.
You can see pictures of Aston Abbotts which are provided by: