Cublington

"The parish of Cublington contains 1,223 acres, comprising 117 acres of arable land, the rest being laid down in permanent grass. The soil is of loam with a subsoil of Portland Beds and Kimmeridge Clay, producing crops of wheat, barley and oats. The land reaches a height of 456 ft. above the ordnance datum in the east of the parish. It is watered by a branch of the River Thame, which also forms the parish boundary on the north and west." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Cottesloe Hundred, Volume 2", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 23 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £6.7.0 of which sum Bernard Turney contributed £2.0.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 66 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Cublington.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 271 inhabitants in 59 families living in 59 houses recorded in Cublington.

Census Year Population of Cublington
1801* 271
1811* 233
1821* 259
1831* 284
1841 290
1851 287
1861 288
1871 283
1881 259
1891 223
1901 215

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cublington area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Nicholas, Cublington have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1566 - 1985
Marriages 1570 - 1991
Burials 1575 - 1993

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1755 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Cublington showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Cublington, St Nicholas 71 - Morning General Congregation
27 - Morning Sunday Scholars
98 - Morning Total

66 - Afternoon General Congregation
27 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
93 - Afternoon Total

Cublington, Wesleyan
Methodist Chapel
32 - Morning Sunday Scholars
32 - Morning Total

63 - Afternoon General Congregation
63 - Afternoon Total

65 - Evening General Congregation
65 - Evening Total

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Cublington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cublington to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Cublington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Cublington was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

CUBLINGTON, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery Muresley, lies about seven miles nearly to the north of Aylesbury. The manor was successively in the families of Cheyne, Despencer, Lucy, Corbet, Willoughby and Carter. It was purchased of the latter in 1664, by the Tourneys, from whom it passed by a female heir to the present proprietor, Thomas Sheppard esq.

In the church, which was removed to its present site in the year 1400, are some memorials of the Tourney family.

The patronage of the rectory belongs to Lincoln College, in Oxford. This parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in the year 1769, when an allotment of land was assigned to the rector, in lieu of tithes, glebe, &c.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Cublington is believed to mean 'Cubbel's farm'.