Drayton Parslow

"Drayton Parslow (Swanbourne, 3 m.), which takes its second name from the family of Passelaw, who were lords of the manor for several generations from the time of Henry I, is a rural village of red-brick cottages, hardly any old buildings being left, which has grown up round the church. The village is, however, secluded and picturesque." [Buckinghamshire, by E.S. Roscoe]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire", E.S. Roscoe, London Methuen & Co Ltd, 1935.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Cottesloe Hundred, Volume 2", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 96 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Drayton Parslow.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 307 inhabitants in 69 families living in 49 houses recorded in Drayton Parslow.

Census Year Population of Drayton Parslow
1801* 307
1811* 287
1821* 372
1831* 416
1841 526
1851 490
1861 468
1871 479
1881 473
1891 425
1901 369

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Drayton Parslow area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for Holy Trinity, Drayton Parslow have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1559 - 1868
Marriages 1559 - 1991
Burials 1559 - 1898

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1559 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1559 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1559 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Drayton Parslow showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Drayton Parslow, Holy Trinity 40 - Morning General Congregation
36 - Morning Sunday Scholars
76 - Morning Total

65 - Afternoon General Congregation
36 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
101 - Afternoon Total

Drayton Parslow, Particular
Baptists
50 - Morning General Congregation
11 - Morning Sunday Scholars
61 - Morning Total

70 - Afternoon General Congregation
70 - Afternoon Total

70 - Evening General Congregation
70 - Evening Total

Drayton Parslow, Primitive
Methodist
121 - Afternoon General Congregation

102 - Evening General Congregation

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Drayton Parslow which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Drayton Parslow to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Drayton Parslow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Drayton Parslow was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

DRAYTON-PASSELEW or PARSLOW, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, lies about five miles nearly to the east of Winslow. In the reigns of King Henry the First and Second, the manor belonged to the Passelews, from whom the parish takes its name, and afterwards to the monastery of Woburn. In 1562 it was granted to Sir John Fortescue; on the death of his descendant, Sir Francis Fortescue bart. in 1720, it passed by a female heir to the Whorwoods. It is now the property of Charles Greenwood esq. whose father married the daughter and sole heir of Thomas Whorwood esq. who died in 1751. The advowson of the rectory was held with the manor by the Fortescues: it is now the property of the Rev. Dr. Lord, who is the present incumbent. This parish has been inclosed by act of parliament, in 1797, when an allotment of land was given in lieu of tithes to the rector.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Drayton Parslow is composed of two parts. The first part, Drayton, is believed to mean 'place where timber is dragged'. The second part, Parslow (or earlier Passelewe), derives from a family of that name that owned possessions at Drayton Parslow.

topup

Taxation