Dunton

"Dunton, anciently Dodentone, is about eight miles North North-West of Aylesbury, and six East South-East of Winslow. The parish is bounded, on the North, by Hogston; on the East, by Littlecot, in Stewkley; on the South, by Cublington and Creslow; and on the West, by North Marston. It contains about 1200 acres, of which about two hundred are said to be arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture. The soil is a clayey loam, with sand and rubble stone, in alternate strata, situate near the surface." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

War Memorials

War memorials in Dunton have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 27 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £7.5.2 of which sum Mr Sam. Clutterbuck rector, Wm. Burton and Thos. Millard contributed £1.0.0 each

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 23 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Dunton.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 85 inhabitants in 18 families living in 18 houses recorded in Dunton.

Census Year Population of Dunton
1801* 85
1811* 89
1821* 98
1831* 116
1841 107
1851 98
1861 106
1871 96
1881 80
1891 71
1901 82

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Dunton area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Martin, Dunton have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1577 - 1812
Marriages 1577 - 1835
Burials 1577 - 1812

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society Publications
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1577 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Christenings
1575 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Marriages
1578 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1575 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Burials
1577 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1575 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Dunton showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Dunton, St Martin 25 - Morning General Congregation
10 - Morning Sunday Scholars
35 - Morning Total

40 - Afternoon General Congregation
10 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
50 - Afternoon Total

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Dunton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dunton to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Dunton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Dunton was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

DUNTON, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, lies about eight miles north of Aylesbury, and about four miles south-east of Winslow. The manor was in the family of Girund, from the time of the conquest, till the reign of Edward II. The Hampdens became possessed of it about the year 1430. In or about the year 1729, Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, purchased it of that family: by her bequest it devolved to her grandson, John Spencer, grandfather of Earl Spencer, who is the present proprietor, and patron of the rectory.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Dunton means 'farm of Doda or Duda'.