Edgcott

"Edgecott (1 3/4 m. Calvert Stat., L. & N.E. Ry.) is a small village with tatched cottages sprinkled among damp meadows round a little hill, on the summit of which stands the church, with a fine view over a sea of grass, and with Brill Hill standing up to the W." [Buckinghamshire, by E.S. Roscoe]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire", E.S. Roscoe, London Methuen & Co Ltd, 1935.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Ashendon Hundred, Volume 5", Peter Quick and Bertrand Shrimpton.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 30 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Edgcott.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 122 inhabitants in 30 families living in 29 houses recorded in Edgcott.

Census Year Population of Edgcott
1801* 122
1811* 121
1821* 160
1831* 180
1841 195
1851 193
1861 182
1871 224
1881 187
1891 150
1901 136

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Edgcott area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Michael, Edgcott have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1538 - 1812
Marriages 1539 - 1834
Banns 1905 - 1955
Burials 1538 - 1812

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1538 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1538 - 1834
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1538 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Edgcott showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Edgcott, St Michael 54 - Afternoon General Congregation
15 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
69 - Afternoon Total
Edgcott, Independent or
Congregationalist Chapel
60 - Afternoon General Congregation
Edgcott, Primitive
Methodist
35 - Morning General Congregation

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Edgcott which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Edgcott to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Edgcott has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Edgcott was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

EDGCOT, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies about eight miles east of Bicester, in Ocfordshire, and about eleven miles north-west of Aylesbury. The manor was anciently in the Giffards, Earls of Buckingham: as early as the reign of Henry III. it was in the Englefields. Upon the attainder of Sir Francis Englefield, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, it was granted to two persons, who immediately conveyed it to the Dormer family. About the year 1716, John Dormer esq. sold it to the celebrated physician and poet, Sir Samuel Garth, whose daughter brought it in marriage to the Boyles. In 1795 it was purchased of their representatives, by the present proprietor Joseph Bullock esq. of Caversfield, who is patron of the rectory.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Edgcott is believed to be a compound of two old english words æcen and cot, meaning 'oaken' and 'cottages', i.e. Edgcott means 'cottages made of oak'.