Fleet Marston

"Fleet Marston is a small parish of three farms and several cottages with an area of 934 acres, which, with the exception of about 24 acres of arable land, is low-lying pasture land of an average height of 250 ft. above the ordnance datum. Both soil and subsoil consist of heavy clay. The church stands in the east of the parish between Akeman Street and the Metropolitan and Great Central Joint Railway." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 7 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Fleet Marston.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were no returns for Fleet Marston, but according to Magna Britannia there were 22 inhabitants living in 4 houses.

Census Year Population of Fleet Marston
1801* 22 (see above)
1811* 46
1821* 43
1831* 41
1841 38
1851 30
1861 23
1871 37
1881 27
1891 51
1901 53

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Fleet Marston area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary the Virgin, Fleet Marston have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1634 - 1962
Marriages 1630 - 1953
Burials 1630 - 1964

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1630 - 1691
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Fleet Marston showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Fleet Marston, Chapel 8 - Afternoon General Congregation

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Fleet Marston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fleet Marston to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Fleet Marston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Fleet Marston was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

FLEET-MARSTON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about three miles from Aylesbury, on the road to Bicester. The manor, which was for many years in the Lees, has been lately purchased of their representative, Lord Dillon, by James Dupré esq. of Wilton Park. The advowson of the rectory being then the property of John Tirrel-Morin esq. was advertised for sale in the month of May 1805.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Marston derives from the words mersc, tun and means 'Marsh farm'. The epithet 'Fleet' refers to a the 'fleet' of brackish water.