GREAT-KIMBELL, or KIMBLE, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Wendover, lies about three miles to the south-west of Wendover. The manor belonged in the fourteenth century to Sir Walter Upton knt. whose only daughter and heir having married the second son of Sir Reginald Hampden, it continued many years in this branch of the Hampden family, who afterwards, on a failure of issue from the elder branch, succeeded to the Great-Hampden estate. About the year 1730, this manor was sold by trustees, acting on behalf of the Hampden family, (under an act of parliament, passed in 1726,) to Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, and by her given to her grandson, John Spencer. From him it descended to the present Earl Spencer, who, in 1803, sold it to Mr. Rickford, by whom it was conveyed the same year to the present proprietor, Scrope Bernard esq. together with two subordinate manors in the parish, called Marshall's and Fennell's-Grove, alias Whityngams. These manors, which comprise the hamlets of Marsh and Kimbell-wick, were purchased by the Hampdens at an early period, and have since passed with the superior manor, which in some old writings is called Upton's.
An act of parliament, for inclosing this parish, passed in 1803, when allotments of land were made to Mr. Bernard, and other impropriators of the great tithes, which formerly belonged to Missenden abbey. The parsonage house and chancel are now vested in Mr. Bernard. Lord Hampden is patron of the vicarage, which in 1799 was consolidated with Great-Hampden.