Halton

"Halton is a small parish, situated in a sandy track, on the side of the Chiltern Hills, near the border of Hertfordshire: a little N.E. of the town of Wendover, and S.W. of Tring, Co. Herts; bounded by Drayton-Beauchamp, Weston-Turville, and Wendover." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred - part one, Volume 3", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

War Memorials

War memorials in Halton have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred - part one, Volume 3", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 43 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £2.3.2 of which sum Jn. Latymer rector contributed £0.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 37 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Halton.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 159 inhabitants in 38 families living in 31 houses recorded in Halton.

Census Year Population of Halton
1801* 159
1811* 171
1821* 195
1831* 209
1841 198
1851 157
1861 147
1871 155
1881 195
1891 226
1901 188

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Halton area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Michael & All Angels, Halton have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1663 - 1934
Marriages 1607 - 1988
Burials 1606 - 1955

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society Publications
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1663 - 1728
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Christenings
1604 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Marriages
1607 - 1849
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1604 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Burials
1606 - 1723
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1604 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Halton showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Halton,
St Michael & All Angels
40 - Morning General Congregation
35 - Morning Sunday Scholars
75 - Morning Total

47 - Afternoon General Congregation
35 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
82- Afternoon Total

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Halton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Halton to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Halton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Halton was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

HALTON, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Risborough, lies between two roads leading from Aylesbury to London, nearly five miles from Aylesbury, and about two from Wendover. Archbishop Cranmer sold the manor, which had belonged from time immemorial to the see of Canterbury, to Henry Bradshaw, afterwards Chief Baron of the Exchequer. From him it passed, by an heir female, to the noble family of Fermor, who, about the year 1720, sold it to Sir Francis Dashwood bart. grandfather of Sir John Dashwood King bart. the present proprietor. The manor-house, which for some years past has been the principal residence of Sir J. Dashwood King, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the grand Junction Canal, and under the Chiltern hills.

In the parish church is a brass plate, with the effigies of Chief Baron Bradshaw, who died in 1553. Sir J. Dashwood King is patron of the rectory, which is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Halton derives from the old english healh, tun and means 'farmstead in a nook or corner of land'.