Hoggeston

"Hogston, Hoggeston, or Hocheston. This Parish is bounded, on the North, by Swanbourne and Mursley; on the East, by Dunton; on the South, by Dunton, Creslow, and Oving; and on the West, by Swanbourne. It contains about 1500 acres of land, of which, according to the Agricultural Survey in 1813, nearly two-thirds were in pasturage, and the remainder meadow and arable. The soil is a gravelly loam, upon a bed of clay. A small brook, which runs through the parish from south-east to north-west, is some times suddenly augmented, so as to overflow the adjacent grounds; and, uniting with another rivulet from the north, becomes the boundary between this parish and Swanbourne, towards its north-western extremity." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

War Memorials

War memorials in Hoggeston have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 19 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £4.5.0 of which sum Bernard Jones rector, Mr Wm. Maine sen.,and Mr Jos. Busbee contributed £1.0.0 each.

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 52 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Hoggeston.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 197 inhabitants in 37 families living in 37 houses recorded in Hoggeston.

Census Year Population of Hoggeston
1801* 197
1811* 190
1821* 188
1831* 173
1841 204
1851 220
1861 207
1871 191
1881 175
1891 166
1901 129

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hoggeston area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for Holy Cross, Hoggeston have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1547 - 1812
Marriages 1547 - 1839
Banns 1756 - 1873
Burials 1547 - 1812

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society Publications
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1547 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Christenings
1547 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Marriages
1547 - 1839
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1547 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Burials
1547 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1547 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Hoggeston showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Hoggeston, Holy Cross 56 - Morning General Congregation
24 - Morning Sunday Scholars
80 - Morning Total

63 - Afternoon General Congregation
24 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
87 - Afternoon Total

Hoggeston,
Primitive Methodist
Meeting House
56 - Afternoon General Congregation

50 - Evening General Congregation

Hoggeston,
Particular Baptist
Meeting House
44 - Morning

40 - Evening

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Hoggeston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hoggeston to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hoggeston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Hoggeston was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

HOGGESTON, in the hundred of Cotslow and the deanery of Muresley, lies about three miles and a half to the south-east of Winslow. It had formerly a market on Fridays, granted in 1314 to William de Bermingham, together with a fair on the festival of the exaltation of the holy cross, commonly called Holyrood-day: both the market and the fair have long been discontinued. The manor was successively in the families of Paganel, Somery, and Bermingham; from the latter it passed by marriage, about the year 1520, to the Bulstrodes, who, about 1546, sold it to the Dormers: it is now the property of Earl Stanhope.

In the parish church are some memorials of the family of Mayne, and the tomb of the founder, of whom there is an effigy, much mutilated, holding in his hand a church. It is supposed to have been intended for William de Bermingham, lord of the manor, who died in 1342. The advowson of the rectory was annexed to the manor till the year 1798, when Lord Stanhope sold it to Worcester College in Oxford.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Hoggeston derives from the old english Hogges-tun, and means 'Hogg's farm'.