Hulcott

"Hulcot, Huckett, alias Hulcoate; perhaps originally Hill-Cote, is a small parish, situate at the N.E. extremity of the Hundred of Aylesbury, and is bounded towards the North by a small brook which separates it from wingrave; on the East by another, which unites with the former, and is the boundary between the Counties of Bucks and Herts; on the South by Aylesbury and Bierton: with which latter parish (as part of Aylesbury) it is supposed to have been included at the Norman Survey, where is not specially mentioned. That branch of the london and Birmingham Rail-road, which has been completed to the town of Aylesbury, intersects this parish nearly in a line from N.E. to S.W. entering the verge of it from Long Marston in Hertfordshire." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred, part two - Town and Environs, Volume 8", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 22 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £2.11.7 of which sum Mr Bell minister contributed £0.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 28 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Hulcott.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 117 inhabitants in 27 families living in 23 houses recorded in Hulcott.

Census Year Population of Hulcott
1801* 117
1811* 125
1821* 139
1831* 145
1841 133
1851 150
1861 143
1871 125
1881 119
1891 108
1901 88

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hulcott area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for All Saints, Hulcott have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1539 - 1995
Marriages 1539 - 1993
Burials 1539 - 1995

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society Publications
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1539 - 1840
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1539 - 1840
Buckinghamshire Family History Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Hulcott showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Hulcott, All Saints No data specifically for 30th April 1851

100 - Morning Service Adults
80 - Morning Sunday Scholars

200 - Afternoon Service Adults
80 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Hulcott which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hulcott to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hulcott has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Hulcott was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

HULCOT, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Wendover, lies about three miles to the north-east of Aylesbury. The manor, which had belonged to the hospital of St. Thomas of Acon, was granted in 1540 to Greenway, and passed afterwards to the families of Fountain and Neale: it was sold by the latter in 1740, to Sir John Fortescue Aland, one of the justices of the Common Pleas. Lord Fortescue was possessed of it in 1777, since which time it has been in the family of Tynte, and is now the property of John Baker esq. This manor is held with part of Bierton, and is usually called the manor of Hulcot and Bierton. A part of Hulcot seems always to have passed with Aylesbury, and to have been in the Botelers and Pakingtons.

The Rev. Mr. Langston is patron of the rectory, and incumbent. The parish has been inclosed by an act of paliament, passed in 1779, when an allotment of land was assigned to the rector in lieu of tithes.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Hulcott is thought to probably derive from the old english words hulu, cot and means 'hovel-like cottages'.