Ibstone

"Ibstone. Is high on the Chilterns with a common. A long street down one side of this has flint and brick cottages lying back against the beechwoods. The church stands alone at the far southern end, looking down the steep slopes to the Turville Valley." [Murray's Buckinghamshire Architectural Guide]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"Murray's Buckinghamshire Architectural Guide." editors John Betjeman & John Piper, London, 1948
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: High Wycombe and area, Volume 11", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 258 inhabitants in 58 families living in 48 houses recorded in Ibstone (in the Buckinghamshire part).

Census Year Population of
Ibstone (part of***)
1801* 258
1811* 247
1821* 272
1831* 313
1841 177
1851 162
1861 153
1871 140
1881 142
1891 149
1901 116

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
***= The remainder is in Oxfordshire (Pirton Hundred). The entire population is shown in Buckinghamshire 1801-31.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ibstone area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Nicholas, Ibstone have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1665 - 1947
Marriages 1665 - 1973
Burials 1665 - 1973

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1639 - 1947
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1639 - 1973
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1639 - 1973
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Ibstone showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Ibstone, St Nicholas 58 - Morning General Congregation
42 - Morning Sunday Scholars
100 - Morning Total

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Ibstone which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ibstone to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ibstone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Ibstone was described in 1847 in George Lipscomb's "The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham" as follows:

IPSTONE is a very small parish, situated on the western verge of Oxfordshire, to which the greater part of those 720 acres comprised in its admeasurement belongs, was anciently surveyed in the Hundred of Desborough, as the land of Hervey the Pope's Legate, holden by him of the King, in capite, as two hides, which are described as situated in Hibestanes. In the Domesday Survey it is particularised as containing five carucates of land; half a hide in the demesne, and two carucates; and seven villeins, having two carucates, to which another might have been added. There was one smith, and four servants, and it was altogether estimated at 4 l. In the time of King Edward, at 100s. This Manor, Tovi, a Thane of King Edward, had previously holden, and could sell it.

In Mr. Langley's Map, the name of this village is printed Ibstone. In Lyson's, the name does not occur at all.

The land-tax assessed for Bucks, only amounted to 47 l. 6s. and the Church, being in Oxfordshire, has left Mr. Langley to mere conjectures respecting the possessions here. The probability of the grant of the estate to Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester, as part of the Endowment of Merton College, in Oxford, circ. 1274, is founded upon an Inquisition taken in 21 Edw. I. when it was presented that the Warden and Fellows of Merton Coll. Oxon, held the moiety of Ipstone, in frankalmoign: the estate continuing to be vested in the same jointly, and Sir Christopher Willoughby, Bart. the Lessee.

IPSTONE-HOUSE, formerly the property of Colonel Innes, is chiefly remarkable for the division of the Counties of Oxford and Bucks; a straight line passing through the parlour of the Manor-House, forms the exact boundary of separation between these Counties.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Ibstone derives from the old english Ibba, stan, and means 'boundary stone of a man called Ibba'.