KINGSEY, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery fo Waddesdon, lies on the borders of Oxfordshire, about three miles west of Thame. The manor, during a great part of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, was in the family of Marney. At a later period it was in the Spillers, and passed in marriage, with the daughter and sole heir of Sir Robert Spiller, to the Herberts of Tythorp, (a hamlet of this parish, situiated in Oxfordshire,) a younger branch of the Herberts, Earls of Pembroke. It is now in moieties, one of which belongs to Mrs. Anne Herbert, a maiden lady, sister and coheir of Philip Herbert esq. the last heir male of this branch of the family, who died in 1749; the other moeity passed in marriage to Philip Lord Viscount Wenman, father of the late Lord, and is now by bequest the property of Miss Bertie. The mansion, sometimes called Kingsey, and sometimes Tythorp-House, is the seat of Mrs. Herbert.
The church, which was formerly a chapel of ease to haddenham, is now a distinct vicarage, in the gift of the dean and chapter of Rochester, to whom the great tithes are appropriated. The lease of the tithes has long been vested in the Herbert family, who have frequently, as lessees, presented to the vicarage.